Saturday, September 24, 2005

 

Taxi Driver: Fact or Fiction?

On my third visit this year to the San Gennaro festival in Little Italy, while waiting by the bandstand (at the corner of Grand Ave and Baxter St) for 50s rock-n-rollers Vito Picone and the Elegants to take the stage, I spied, over my shoulder, standing silently against a building behind me, a man who was the spitting image of Travis Bickle, the Robert DeNiro character in Martin Scorsese's 1976 Taxi Driver. Astounded, I pointed him out to a fellow Italian feast-goer from Brooklyn who cracked up with laughter when he saw the uncanny resemblance. Thin faced, sporting a shaved-down, closely cropped Mohawk, a blue-and-white checkered buttoned-down short sleeved cotton shirt (with sunglasses hanging in front), the DeNiro-as-Bickle look-alike calmly, but continuously, checked his wrist watch and then, on my sixth or seventh glance in his direction, was gone.

Comments:
I bet the dude changed his name to Travis Bickle by deed-poll, huh?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?