Sunday, October 16, 2005

 

How Many Movies Can You Fit on the Head of a Pin?

Last week, Apple announced the launch of its Video iPod. My reaction: Who cares. Apple calls it the "evolution of the revolution," but I couldn't disagree more. I understand the appeal of the original iPod -- being able to download thousands of songs digitally to a light-weight, portable device for easy listening. But that was audio. Where a soundwave comes from, before it enters your earphones is essentially irrelevant. With film, size matters. Hell, there are certain movies I don't even want to see reduced to the size of a TV screen, so getting them down to the dimensions of a matchbook cover hardly excites me. I only wish the same was true of the scores of people who will rush to own this latest technology. I can't help thinking of Norma Desmond's reaction in Sunset Blvd. when questioned about her current popularity. "You're Norma Desmond. You used to be in silent pictures. You used to be big." She responds, "I am big. It's the pictures that have gotten small." No kidding. Sadly, she was right.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?