Friday, October 28, 2005

 

A Walken Gem: Just Around the Bend

Here's one that got away. I have been an admirer of Christopher Walken's work on screen ever since his brilliant Oscar-winning performance in The Deer Hunter. Since then, Walken has chosen many roles that are slightly left of center and built a career of honest, moving and often very funny character portrayals. In the video store the other day my eye caught sight of Walken's image on a DVD box for a film called Around the Bend. I had not heard of it and decided to rent it. Really glad I did. I strongly recommend to all Walken fans that they make an effort to seek out this film and watch it. And for those of you who are not familiar with Walken's work, check this out and see why he has built such a dedicated following. Few actors can deliver a line with the cadence of Walken. Few actors seem so real on screen. I don't want to say too much about the film. You should discover it as I did, with no expectations. But I will say, Around the Bend is a unique road film that brings together four generations of men in a family with secrets. When they are revealed...they're not earth-shattering, but honest and real (not movie real) in a way that touches you. In fact, I kept thinking of Midnight Cowboy when I was watching Around the Bend. That's high praise. Walken is allowed the space to do what he does best. Without the burden of a complex plot, Walken breathes life into his character, and gives us another reason to anxiously await his next appearance on screen.

Comments:
Interested in Christopher Walken? Christopher Walken See more of his movie at Most Wanted Movies.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?