Wednesday, January 18, 2006

 

Sunken Treasure

For as long as I can remember, the search for sunken treasure -- an undersea adventure culminating in the discovery of gold coins or trinkets from hundreds or thousands of years ago, on the ocean floor -- has fascinated me. As a child, I even owned Sunken Treasure, from Milton Bradley, where the object of the game was to retrieve coins from the sea bottom (in an Operation-style fashion) without getting buzzed. I also collected coins, and would intently study the ads in coin magazines urging me to buy a metal detector and comb the beaches for treasure! So, needless to say, I was intrigued when I learned of the plot for the movie Into the Blue, which, you guessed it, is about the search for sunken treasure! What a well-made film. Solid performances, combined with stunning underwater cinematography, and an adventurous script, make for a fun time. The themes in this film run deep: Love vs. Money. The Power of Greed. Right vs. Wrong. Choices Matter. Essentially, Into the Blue is a mortality play sprawled out against the gorgeous backdrop of the Caribbean islands and the deep, clear, blue (shark infested) waters surrounding them. An expedition by four friends for the illusive sunken civil war ship, the Zephyr, is complicated when the drivers discover, near the site, a sunken plane filled with cocaine. Should they take it and sell it for equipment they need? Should they inform the police? Who can they trust? The web gets tangled and their decisions cost lives. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the film. You might be too.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?