Friday, June 30, 2006
Holy Super Icon, Part II
1) Superman comes to earth from the Heavens, sent by his father to live among humans, and in his father's words, "to be a light to the world." In the Gospel of John, Jesus comes to earth from Heaven, sent by his father to live among humans and says, "while I am in the world, I am the light of the world."
2) In Superman Returns, Superman goes about helping humans with "powers far beyond those of mortal man," and at one point literally carries the weight of the world on his shoulders. Jesus goes about helping human "with powers far beyond those of mortal man," and takes on his shoulders "the sins of the world."
3) Superman takes Lois Lane into the sky and asks what she hears. She says,"Nothing." He says, "I hear everybody." He tells Lois that she's wrong about the world not needing a savior and that he in fact is that savior.
4) The voice of Superman's father tells him that the world will come to know him, through the works of his son. Jesus says in the gospels, "The world does not know the Father because they have not recognized the Son."
5) Superman is beaten and mocked by his enemies and ultimately pierced in the side (by Lex Luthor) with a sharp shard of Kryptonite. Jesus is beaten and mocked by his enemies and pierced in the side with a spear (by a Roman soldier).
6) Superman literally gives his life to save the world from the evil of Lex Luthor and falls to his death, arms spread apart. Jesus, the Catholic church believes, gave his life to save the world from sin and the Lucifer, by spreading his arms on the cross.
7) When a female nurse visits the room where they have laid the body of Superman, she is shocked to find it empty and the police guarding the room immediately come to search it. When the women visit the tomb where they have laid the body of Jesus, they are shocked to find it empty, and Roman soldiers, guarding the tomb, immediately come to search it.
8) When Superman returns to life, the first person he visits is the woman he loves, Lois Lane. When Jesus returns to life, the first person he visits is the woman he loves, Mary Magdalene.
9) Lois asks the resurrected Superman, "Will we see you again?" And Superman says, "I will always be around." The apostles ask the resurrected Jesus to stay with them, and he says, "Don't be afraid, I am with you everyday, until the end of the world."
10) At the end of the film Superman ascends back into the heavens. At the end of the gospels, Jesus ascends back to Heaven.
I didn't see Superman but I buy that some of it is intended exactly as MOMM said originally. I just think he took the idea off the cliff in his previous post and that's what I was commenting about.
Now can we go back to important topics like what it might mean before the movie starts that there is a very vaginal curtain in front of the theater that parts before an excited audience beckoning all to enter and penetrate the world of the movie...