Monday, August 07, 2006

 

Fried Worms Comes to the Big Screen

Every October, I venture to southern Vermont (in the Bennington, Arlington, Manchester range) for a couple of days to commune with nature: I watch the leaves turn colors; breathe deeply the fresh mountain air; do some hiking, antique hunting, and never fail to visit the Norman Rockwell exhibit (located in an old church on historic Route 7A in Arlington). At this point, I know the exhibit like the back of my hand, I've seen it so many times. It's always a thrill to meet actual Norman Rockwell models from the town. Of particular interest is a small showcase -- tucked away in one of the rooms at the back of the old church -- focusing on the work of Rockwell's children. There, behind the glass is a copy of How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell. While, perhaps, not as famous as his father's Saturday Evening Post covers (many for which he served as a model), this book for young readers has become a classic in its own right. Now, more than 30 years after it was first published, the book has finally been adapted into a live action feature. (It was first filmed in 1985 as an animated TV movie.) It will be interesting to see how the filmmakers have chosen to update the story and the attitudes of its characters. At the time it was published, the book was credited with attracting many unwilling young readers (especially boys) due to its obvious gross out factor. One wonders, after all these years, if the thought of eating worms is still enough of a curiosity for younger audiences to flock to the film. My guess is...yes.

Comments:
"How to Eat Fried Worms" was one of my favorite books as a kid! I loved it. I am sure it was the title that drew me to it. It sounds like a fun movie to do. I hope it turns out as a good as I remember the book being.
 
Is Jackass the new one?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?