Tuesday, September 05, 2006

 

Here We Go!

For as long as I can remember, when the previews (and, these days, commercials) are over in a movie theater and the lights go completely dark, as the screen flickers to life, I find myself saying (usually out loud, but in a soft whisper) sometimes to myself, sometimes to the person with me: "Here we go..." I'm not sure how I started this little ritual of three words before each movie. I may have heard my father say it once or twice. But it makes perfect sense to me that I do it. That's how I feel about movies. They take me on a journey. And I'm always willing to go. Sometimes the trip is eh. Sometimes it's unforgettable. But at the beginning of each trip, I'm ready to go. I feel the same way with the new year of "Movies on My Mind." I'm excited to see where the year will take us. Will this be the year of a great new director? Of an unforgettable film? Of the beginning of a new trend? The return of an old one? Who will leave us? Who will rise to fame? I'm excited. Films excite me. They still do. I know there aren't as many good ones these days. But wow, when I find one no one knows about and it's great? It's like finding buried treasure. So far, 2006 has been kind of a flat year. I started "Movies on My Mind" last year by wondering who Oscar might recognize from the early part of the year. It was easy to come up with a few titles and one of them -- Crash -- actually won! But this year, I can't think of any. Not yet. (Even the 9/11 movies haven't caused much of a stir.) But I am excited about what's to come. The new one from Darren Aronofsky. The new one from Martin Scorcese. Then there's Hollywoodland and The Black Dahlia (from Brian DePalma). And Clint Eastwood's Flags of our Fathers epic. So I will be there, as I have always been, waiting for the lights to go dark, and the screen to flicker to life, and willing to take the journey, again. "Here we go..."

Comments:
Recently, I saw the film "Little Miss Sunshine." I laughed, I cried, I wrote a graduate paper on family dynamics based on this family's interactions. It is a great little picture.

This family is Every Family. Each person struggling with his or her own broken dreams, shortcomings or failures and then triumphing together as a unit. It is very sweet and quite comical.
I highly recommend it. It is good for the soul.

This may not be the BIG winner for the Oscar but I think it will at least get a few nods.
 
Here We Go is right. A great lineup for the fall! I'm psyched to see good films once again in the theater. It's been a while... All the big guns are releasing something: Scorsese, De Palma, Soderbergh, Eastwood, De Niro, Sofia Coppola, Christopher Nolan, Darren Aronofsky. Jesus, what more could we ask for?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?