Monday, September 04, 2006

 

In Voluptate Mors


A month ago, I wrote a piece for "Movies on My Mind" entitled "The Lost Art of Movie Posters." In it I said, "the most inventive poster I have seen in years is for the film The Descent. It's the story of a group of women on a caving expedition that goes horribly wrong. The poster uses the body forms of these women to create a glowing skull. If you don't check out the movie, you should at least check out this poster. It's really a work of art." Turns out, it was based on a work of art -- a 1951 colloboration between artist Salvador Dali and photographer Philippe Halsman entitled "In Voluptate Mors (The Skull)," to be exact. This wonderful little treasure of information was pointed out to me by "Movies on My Mind" regular Silberg, who happened upon the original photo and sent it to me. Check it out.

Comments:
I like the original better for some reason...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?