Thursday, September 14, 2006

 

Two Christmas Movies I'm Looking Forward To

As frequent "Movies On My Mind" contributor Silberg pointed out to me in a photo he sent me from Amsterdam, it's just a little more than 150 days until Christmas. And the trailers for two Christmas movies have already been making the rounds in theaters. I am looking forward to both of them. The first is The Nativity Story, a film which relates the struggles of Mary and Joseph in the days leading up to the birth of Jesus, and the events that follow. Mary is played by 16-year-old, Oscar-nominated actress Keisha Castle-Hughes (of Whale Rider). What will be interesting for me to see is whether the same crowd that flocked to theaters to watch Jesus tortured and killed (in The Passion of the Christ) will be interested in this big screen telling of his birth. The trailer I saw just showed silhouettes on screen, and my son, who was with me blurted out, "That's Jesus!" The other film is The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause. This one pits Santa against Jack Frost for the control of Christmas. I like the concept for a few reasons. It will be interesting to see if Will this film comment on the cultural battle that has been going on in this country over the holiday of Christmas? (By the looks of the trailer, it seems it will. Jack Frost plans to rename Christmas, "Frostmas.") I didn't hold out much hope for the first Santa Clause sequel, but in many ways, it worked better than the original film, so I'm willing to give this one the benefit of the doubt. Tim Allen is wonderful as St Nick and this time there's Martin Short as Frost. Let the sleigh bells ring! I'm ready!

Comments:
No Christmas stuff yet, summer just ended... How about Halloween movies preview (2006 edition)?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?